Wednesday 17 October 2012

Street Style




(Above: street style photo of me by Bilal Mustapha)






(Photos from The Sartorialist)

A few weeks ago, while running some errands around Bond Street, I was snapped by a street style photographer. (The first photo is the one.) It was the first time I've ever been photographed, and being an avid street style blog reader, I must admit that I was thrilled and honoured. I felt pretty cool the rest of the day and when I got home I immediately googled the photographer's name. His name is Bilal Mustapha, a young photographer and this is his blog. It has some great shots of street style around London.

Now a word on street style photography; I love it. I am fascinated by the way people choose to dress; the colours they are drawn to, the way they button up their shirts, the shapes they create with their clothes... When you first meet a person, you look at their clothes. It's a like window to their soul. (That said I must include the fact that many many people don't dress from their heart, but dress in a certain way only for others or to conform to society, which is a shame). When people do take joy in getting dressed, even if it's just jeans and a t-shirt, it's wonderful to see. 

However, during Fashion week, street style goes crazy. It becomes a case of fashion wannabes, fashionistas, celebrities, bloggers etc. competing to get photographed in their 'look at me' outfits. People dress more and more over the top, piling on every 'it' designer item that they can find in a quest to stand out in a sea of stylish people. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at street style blogs during Fashion week, it's an awe-inspiring visual feast! But does this really deserve to be called 'street style' fashion? Isn't the whole point of street style photography to find well dressed people in every day situations on the street

So after weeks of fashion week style, I'm dedicating this post to real street style fashion. I've selected a few photos that I love from The Sartorialist, one of my favourite blogs, in celebration of street fashion. 
Enjoy!

With Love,

Thais

3 comments: